Monday 20 April 2009

Martin salisbury - email no.2

From the last mail I had included about Salisbury and previous contact, these are further questions which I mailed to him relating to the design industry, I also sent over some small samples of my work for his opinion.



Hello Martin,
I am a student in my final year of a BA Hons of Illustration. I attended a lecture you gave at Stockport College, last year, featuring your book, 'Playpen'. A beautiful illustrated book, which I still look back on for inspiration!

I emailed you some time after you attended, questioning your influences and inspirations. As part of my degree, I need to build up information about Illustrators/ Designers and the Design Industry.


I know how busy you are but was wondering if you get a spare moment, I could have your opinion on a few questions below? Primarily about your career as an illustrator


• Do you think it is better working in a studio with other Illustrators who you can share your ideas with, as opposed to 'your own private space'? if so why?

I think this depends on the individual. Some illustrators crave the studio environment and go mad on their own (can be a big shock after college), others need to work alone and can't concentrate any other way


• What would you say makes the difference between success and failure when trying to establish yourself in the design industry?

Assuming there is 'talent' there, I am quite sure that the key word is 'persistence'. I have known many very good graduates who I felt sure would do well, who simply haven't been persistent enough. Whilst others, with good ability but perhaps not as gifted, have just been persistent and well organised and done better. Quiet dtermination and professionalism is the key.



• What was the easiest way to establish and promote yourself within the wide world of Illustration?

It was very different for me. there were very few illustratots in the late 1970s when I graduated. i got a job from the first publisher I visited!


Did you conform to a style that was around at the time you first got commissioned?

'Style'? I hate that word! I suppose my work was unconsciously informed by the general vogue of the time which was for a mainly 'realist' approach. I loved drawing people and trying to create convincing narrative  'scenes'


• Would you say it is hard to remain an established Illustrator when there are so many other illustrating practitioners within the design industry?

Yes. Which is why it is important that your work doesn't consciously try too hard to pursue an idea of contemprary 'style' but has a distinct agenda aof its own. Ideas are important.



finally..


• You won't have seen my portfolio but if you get time, I have included a PDF, I would greatly appreciate your opinion and advice upon improving any aspects of my designs. I can appreciate how busy you are, but If you get the time I would be over the moon to her what you think.

i enjoyed looking at your samples. I don't like to comment on small images onscreen, out of context but I like your sense of colour and design. It looks as if you are focussing on the areas of design and editorial which are very competitive areas in which to establish yourself.
Good luck and do feel free to contact me.


Best wishes



Martin

Thankyou so much for your time, any of your feedback to any of the questions would be greatly valued! I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,

Sarah Hilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

here