Friday 8 May 2009

Getting out there!

Where did you start looking for work?

I was 16 and got a job at Carlton Artists In Marble Arch. The studio manager has been to Bramley Tech. My job title was general artist. And they were paying me £5 a week. Carlton was a large studio. There was a fashion studio, and another one with guys just drawing shoes - a bit like andy warhol did. I was amongst al these incredibly talented people. I had to collect their time sheets. They would show me things, my ambition was to be an art director.

You ended up as an illustrtor - have you been a frustrated art director all these years?

I didn't think of myself as an illustrator in those days at all. I wanted to be the best art director in the world. At school they had their own typographic room. We had our own composing suites. I was quite into type, people like Herb Lubalin. I liked american advertising, and people like David Ogilvy. I was only when I got a job in an advertising group, where I was doing ads, that I found myself doing the whole thing. I'd come up with an idea, draw it, put the type on it and that would be it. I was a sort of one man show. I worked for a few desing groups. I moved around a lot because the only way you could get a pay rise in those days was to change jobs. My first job after Carlton artists was pye records. I t was a fantastic time to be there. I did a lot of blues album covers - Pye were affiliated with Reprise and Chess.

(Most of this research was taken from articles from art magaines)

YOU WILL FIND THEM IN..

VAROOM ISSUE 7, 2008 - P40, BRIAN GRIMWOOD
VAROOM ISSUE 8, 2008 - P58, REVIEWS
VAROOM ISSUE 7, 2008 - P8, HVASS & HANNIBAL
VAROOM ISSUE 8, 2008 - P64, 1/2
VAROOM ISSUE 6, 2008 - P40, SELF PROMOTION.

No comments:

Post a Comment

here