Sarah Hanson has been working with the AOI for a few years now, I remember finding her work in the first year and almost writing to her in the second year but I had run out of time. I chose to mail her this year, due to her initial practice and how she creates her images from looking over them, she has a very much hand crafted technique similar to my own practice. Her work reflects similar design concepts to Martin O'neil and Michelle Thompson. Last year I mailed Caroline Tomlinson, who too, worked in a similar style. Although the work doesn't resemble my own in terms of the 'look', I am taking into consideration, the process and practice to how these illustrators have produced. -The technique of hand-craft- illustrations and how this practice has dominated in some illustrations, in comparison to computer-aided design, which has become a talking point of the illustration industry. I posted an article about hand-craft my David Crow a while a go.
I am a student in my final year of a BA Hons of Illustration. I came across your work on the AOI website, and wanted to write to you last year about your work but sadly got pushed back with time. Your Illustrations are remarkable and constantly inspire me!
As part of my degree, I need to build up information about Illustrators/ Designers and the Design Industry.
I know how busy you are but was wondering if you get a spare moment, I could have your opinion on a few questions below?
- What are your influences and what inspires you?
- How close is a final piece to your initial conception? Do you create roughs, or is it a case of 'play' with elements?
- What would you say makes the difference between success and failure when trying to establish yourself in the design industry?
- What was the easiest way to establish and promote yourself within the wide world of Illustration?
- Within your work, you to use found imagery as a primary element, which conveys a somewhat layering system to your work; I tend to rely on shape within my work, but still maintain to let photographic elements inform a piece. I began to find that I didn't always have the right photograph for example. How do you source your materials and do you ever struggle to find the right element?
- Do you rely on computer programs such as photoshop to assemble your images or is it entirely handmade?
- I have included a short PDF of some of my work, I would Value your opinions or any thoughts you may have. Thankyou.
- What advice would you offer an aspiring Illustrator?
Thankyou so much for your time, any of your feedback to any of the questions would be greatly valued! I look forward to hearing from you!
- How do you develop your ideas?
- Who/ What inspires you to create mixed media pieces?
- Have you had any favourite jobs?
- How did you get from being a design student to part of the design industry?
- Have you any advice for an aspiring illustrator like myself?